Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Lane Community Project Review


It's been a couple of weeks now since the term ended, but I wanted to do a quick post on my final review project. We're still working all by hand at this point, so I decided to try out an unfamiliar medium to get me out of my comfort zone a little. I went for water color pencils, which were a lot of fun, although the water left the velum (a kind of thick trace paper we were required to render on) a bit wrinkled. The final presentation was also much larger format for this project, and our time line was much shorter, so we got to bond as a class over some late night (all night?) "coloring" sessions.

In a nutshell, our challenge was to re-invent the entrance to Lane Community College (which is just outside Eugene in a wooded/agricultural setting) in a way that would emphasize the school's commitment to green technology, while also tying the site to the wetlands just across the street (the site itself used to be wetlands). Seeing as it currently consists of three sewage settling ponds, there was really no where to go but up. Here's what it looks like now:



And *here*, is the site plan for (dum da da DUM!) the Lane Community Sustainable Farm and Water Garden! (applause)


I decided to concentrate on sustainable agriculture as a viable "green" industry that's currently gaining a lot of momentum. (Also, I really like farms. So there.) As you can see in the diagram below, I designed in booths for a farmers market, and a building with pasture space for an ethical animal husbandry center. My esteemed cohort Ethan Rainwater suggested jokingly that it could use a petting zoo, so I threw in an area where people could check out some ambassador animals. That meant I got to draw a little sheep!


If you squint and look close, you can see I also thought up excuses to draw tiny cows, plus a duck and a fish, not to mention the little pin-headed people. (Moving on...) The Water Garden component of the plan includes an area of oak savannah (which is consistent with the native area, see below), that transitions into a pond with a wildlife island in the center. Water enters the pond from Russell Creek, and the new sewage treatment facility. Nature trails wind through the site and connect via bridge to the wetlands across 30th street, as well as to the center of campus. This is my first attempt at drawing oak trees. What do you think?:


My presentation also included some simple water flow, traffic, and partí diagrams, but they're less interesting to look at. I can bore you with them next time I see you. Here's a blurry shot of me doing my dog and pony show for one of my reviewers:


He had just finished giving a scathing review to one of my talented classmates, so I was a tad nervous. Thankfully, aside from telling me my bridge was "weak," he was largely complimentary. Take that, first term! I think it's safe to say that I didn't go down as the first grad student in the program to "no pass" their first term summer classes. Chest bumps all around, my friends.

2 comments:

Vanjarama Split said...

Chest bumps Chest bumps. Worst friend ever for just getting around to reading this, but I miss you and I'll chest bump you in person soon as this whole moving business is over with.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO.

madeline said...

you are most definietly on the best friend short list, vanj. see you soon!