Friday, June 05, 2009

You've got some Xplaning to do...



Yesterday marked two years since I was hired on at Xplane. The one and only Andrew James Crowley penned the above sketch in honor of the occasion. It was requested that I write a little bit about what working at the company has meant to me, but everything I tried to write seriously kept coming off as cheesy and sentimental (albeit true), so I opted for the cop-out "Ten things i never thought I would do that I did because of Xplane." I could add several "Work for client X" bullets to this list, but that would be kind of boring, and I think the Secretary of Education one sums up my mixed feelings and sense of irony about working for corporate and government clients pretty well. Anyway, here's my list:

I never thought I would…

1. have a corner office
2. become the resident Powerpoint expert (woooo… nothing can stop me now!)
3. design a presentation about how great No Child Left Behind was… for the US Secretary of Education
4. get labeled a "hipster" by a client when I was wearing my nice pants
5. achieve a level of Zen wherein I cease to notice when rubber bands and foam balls are ricocheting off my head
6. really like oil company guys
7. wish so much I could visit St Louis
8. feel sorry for myself because coming up with stick figure drawings can be so haaaaard sometimes
9. genuinely look forward to having lunch in the office with my coworkers
10. leave a job I truly loved where I had so much more to learn

Ok, so reading that again, some of it doesn't really make much sense out of context. So, for those of you who aren't familiar with the inner workings at Xplane, here are a few photos to give you some idea.


My "corner office" (actually just a corner of the one, big office everyone shares). The black drain pipe radiates cold in the winter and makes me have to pee every half hour when it's raining.


We take Halloween very seriously. That's Aric, our CEO, dressed as Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty, and our head of finance, Rich, channeled his teenage self and rocked a mohawk.


Is this diagram printed huge, or am I really small?? You'll never know! Unless you ask me. Then I'll tell you.


Marvin and I trying to prove we're serious sometimes.


The pictionary Dream Team. Our only failure was when the category was "Famous Landmark" and Matt drew Pee Wee Herman. I guessed Pee Wee's Playhouse instead of the Alamo. Total fail.


The talented, sardonic, and inhumanly flexible Dylan Meconis... she might be listening to This American Life, or she might just be ignoring you.


Mister Clean gets political.


Joe's Gerald Ford piece de resistance.


Joe has fun with photoshop.


Drew comes to stay with us for a month!

Man, I'm going to miss this place.

1 comment:

Damian said...

Be careful

Fun is, um, bad for you