Saturday, May 30, 2009

Dinosaur Day Afternoon


It really feels like summer in Portland now. After a couple of solid weeks of 70s and up weather, I'm back in the habit of putting sunscreen on after I shower every morning, without even consulting weather channel dot com first. Today I slathered up and aired out the shimmering heat wave in my car to go teach an art lesson in deep southwest Portland. It was loads of fun. Check out this missing-tooth-gapped grin. How could you not love it?!


I donated two hours of my time to my friend Barrie's boys' school auction, and Barrie ended up convincing the highest bidder to share the "art party" with her and another family. There were five kids total (aged three to six) and lots of adults to help out, which always makes things so much easier. Using dinosaurs as a theme, we learned some basic art concepts like 2D vs 3D, using your eyes vs using your imagination, basic perspective (bigger is closer, smaller is farther, as well as overlapping to show relation), and paint color mixing. I'm always amazed and humbled with what kids come up with. Seriously inspiring.


I enjoyed putting my teaching pants back on, even if it was only for a couple of hours. Plus, the host mom inquired as to how much I would charge to come and do it again sometime! Maybe I should put out feelers in Eugene to see if parents would be willing to pay me to come over to their houses, make fun messes and then leave. Not a bad day's work, if you ask me.

1 comment:

Vanjarama Split said...

I vote yay to making messes with kids. It's even better when there's parents to supervise messes so that you get the thumbs up on the mess. Bravo.